Mga Pahina

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gotta Catch 'Em All Craze

"Largest Collection of Pokemon Memorabilia: 12,113 unique Poke-things make up UK-resident, Lisa Courtney's real life Pokedex." - Guiness World Records for Gamers

I couldn’t believe that someone literally took the initial concept of Pokemon seriously and took it to another level. You can’t blame that person, it might be fun.

I remember myself when the pokemon craze started. I was in highschool back then. 1st year I think. There was a group of us, rather most of the boys in our class, became hooked. We were like some underground organization meeting just before the flag ceremony to talk about our latest catch on our pokemon games. We all had a copy of the game either through emulator or through a real gameboy. Most of us memorized the current 1st generation pokemon. 151 in all including the, then elusive mew and the yet to be revealed Mewtwo.

Just like any juvenile craze, it died down after a year and was replaced by mini-4wds.

At least that’s what I thought.

Come college, I met someone who was also hooked. Although he doesn’t look interested, he asked me to download the latest games on an NDS emulator and he sometimes searches for the action figure of his favorite pokemon. I know he wouldn’t comment on this, it would be very obvious.

I also did the same though. Boys will always be boys.

In defense, there was a thin line of limitation through it all. We never talked about it openly. We never even aimed to collect all of them, just those that looked the coolest or meanest. But 12,113 Poke-things is just over our heads. It’s total addiction. It’s “gotta catch ‘em all” on a higher level.

If anything, I wouldn’t go there at all! I’ll just leave Lisa Courtney be. It’s her passion. In the same way, leave me be, I’m just playing here.

Wanna trade your Munchlax for my Riolu?



2 comments:

  1. true true... that's why I'm playing... wahahahahaha.... but I don't want any world record...

    ReplyDelete