Mga Pahina

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Back to Basics

I joined the notebook PC bandwagon last February. I had a great offer from a friend considering its condition and its model. Actually, I'm not so sure if I had a great offer. It's just what a lot of people have been telling me.

At first I thought the notebook was just the same as any other PC just smaller in size.  Whoever started the notebook bandwagon thought of a PC that's for the working-on-the-go type of person. It's just for typing and surfing the net. It's small size enable the person to bring it everywhere. 

As I said, it's for typing and surfing the net, so someone as game hungry as I am might find that troubling. I learned it the hard way.

I thought I could install the usual things I install on my laptop and my desktop. That included the games that I usually play. Since the small notebook does not have a CD, I did some magic stuff with the other computers to run the games on USB. It's no magic really and it takes time. 

The usual games that I are simple. I never wanted big shot games with high memory or video requirements. Just a sport game and a racing game is enough. Something along the lines of NBA Live and Need For Speed from 2 or 3 years ago. I thought those were enough to liven my gloomy days. 

The games installed perfectly. However, the moment I executed the programs, they went crashing down. It turned out that the notebook did not meet the video requirement of the game. I tried a lower version, and it ended up the same way. So much for being game hungry.

So out goes the games.

Or not.

For gamers to give up on playing games is unthinkable. They find ways to get through those trials. Though I am not a full fledged gamer, I have my ways. I tried to go back to basics: emulators. Before I was able to have the games on my other computers, there was the emulator. They simply emulate the game consoles that we have today. For me, it was an N64 emulator. 

Since the N64 came before the first Playstation, it sported a decent but somewhat crude graphics unlike the playstations and the Xboxes of our time, but not so much for the gameplay. It was enough to satiate my craving. 

Amazing though, it worked great on the notebook after a few tweaks on the settings. Now, not only could I play the usual, I could play an arsenal of games ranging from rpgs to sport games. 

Hurray for the basics!

2 comments:

  1. good for you tol... hehe... akala ko netbook yung nakuha mo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. er... don't know the difference... bwahahaha...

    ReplyDelete