Mga Pahina

Saturday, June 19, 2010

New Ear Tingling Addiction

"This city is shouting you down; a personal music player is a form of self defense. It creates a force field around you, shuts out the world that is trying to swallow you whole, and defines, however tenuously, a space that is yours." - Jessica Zafra, Twisted 8 1/2

I bought a music phone just in time before my MP4 player broke down. Yeah, the MP4 that used to have NES games broke down.

That was months ago. Since then, I have been relying on my phone to play music while walking to and from work or wherever. Aside from making it an excuse to join the deaf ministry (joke!), I somehow shared the same sentiments of Jessica Zafra. Hence, I walk around the city with music blaring in my ears.

I only played music despite the advice of a lot of friends to try audio books or audio sermons. I refused most of the time. I figured that my sleepy headed-ness would get the better of me once I listened to a person talking on the head set.

This week I tried to experiment. I loaded an audio sermon on my player and tried to listen to it on my way to work. Instead of falling asleep, I found myself more alert than ever. The sermon even disturbed my innermost thoughts. I was forced to pause the sermon midway because of work and I was left hanging. I was left with a lot of questions that I couldn't wait to hear the conclusion when I reach my break after 3 hours.

After that, I found myself deleting more than half of the songs on my playlist and replaced it with audio sermons and lectures. I was daily captivated by the likes of Ivor Myers, Allan and Nicole Parker, Karl Tsatalbasidis, among others. Their dynamic delivery of messages and great insight on a spirit filled living propelled me to load more sermons.

This is a brand new addiction. It's healthy and inspiring. So if you see me spacing out with a headset on my head, don't worry I'm just listening to a new insight.

I still have apprehensions with audio books though.

6 comments:

  1. Hehe i have the same addiction!! You need some more ? give me yours i give you mine .... hehe my cellphone seems to be filled with more sermons than anything else ... and ivor myers love story is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure. I don't think I have ivor myers' love story. Lets trade audio sermons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just finished listening to my first audiobook (on my laptop lang though, not on a player).. it was Nicholas Spark's The Last Song..and waaaaaaah. i cried my eyes out.. lol.. there's something unique about having a story read to you (instead of you, the reader, giving voices to the words you read) with all the inflections and voice changes the voice-actors make to enhance the portrayal of the story's characters.. :) the downside to it is that it takes a looooooong while to finish the book! :)) the last song audiobook is 12.5hours straight.. :)) if i read the book myself, maybe it would have just taken me 5 hours.. but i think it was still worth it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's also the point why I read instead of listen to audio books. Audio sermons take at least an hour, so by the time I get to work, it would be finished. Want some audio sermons? it's nice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. my bad judith, I didn't realize it but I loaded "A Love Story" on my player as well. Just finished listening to it and it was sooo great. Almost cried while walking around MOA today.

    ReplyDelete