Mga Pahina

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not Even A Hint

Rating:★★★★
Category:Books
Genre: Religion & Spirituality
Author:Joshua Harris
I'm not really a fan of Joshua Harris, but I have read "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" in preparation for the first Single's Retreat wherein I was one of the facilitators. I liked that book and hopefully, I'd get to review it.

Anyways, I managed to stumble upon Not Even A Hint while browsing through some books in a bookstore. I was expecting that it would be sold at a higher price, but when I looked at how affordable it was (hint: affordable book for me does not exceed 200 pesos), I immediately grabbed a copy. I finished the book in two days.

Not Even A Hint is a self-help book that is not a self-help book. Get it? Weird, huh? It tackles the issue of lust in our daily lives, but it does not necessarily tell us how to combat it. This is simply because no one person could battle lust and win on his or her own accord. The books simply points us back to where to start in battling lust. It simply tells us that the battle is not ours but God's.

What was really amazing about the issues present in the book was that at first look, it may seem to be a male-oriented book. Probably because the problem of lust seems to be related to males alone. Yet the author saw it differently. Lust isn't just a male problem. It's a human problem. Yes. The definition of lust may seem so deep and sometimes, frustrating from the author's point of view, but I could not deny that it is the truth. Actually, the author's bottom line is that Lust is not just the biggest problem we'd face but only a part of the problem. The real problem is sin and lust is just a part of sin.

Moreover, I could say, and any who have read the book could also attest to this, that the book's advices on lust, if there were any, not really tackles lust at all. Like I Kissed Dating Goodbye, the book redirects the focus on a higher level, giving emphasis on God and how to depend on Him alone to face any sin problem.

In terms of style, the book has its similarities from the author's other works. It does not sound preachy like others since Harris himself claims that he is still facing the lust problem himself and that there is no one solution to combat lust alone. To those who don't prefer reading a book with Bible verses, be warned. Although Bible verses were mentioned, I could say that they were essential for the emphasis of certain points.

Over-all, Not Even a Hint is a book worth reading, rereading and studying on a personal or even a group level. It shares amazing insights not only with the lust problem but the human problem as a whole.

6 comments:

  1. two days? addict hehe! i havent finished kissed dating goodbye in two months haha! i read boy meets girl few years ago. mali nga ata sequence ko

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... you can call me that!! ehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i read the book 3 yrs ago when i was in a marathon reading for Joshua Harris books =) good points to remember.. but i would consider other books for reading =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah... but I haven't read anything about lust so far... that's why I loved the book...

    ReplyDelete