Mga Pahina

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Back to the Cape and Cowl

Previously, I was in a mad rush to watch all the Avatar: The Last Airbender Series. I could say it was worth it. I really enjoyed watching that series, and watch it again if I had the time.

At the same time, I was also keeping track of the One Piece issues. Apparently, I was able to catch up on the series a few months ago. Ever since, I have been watching out for the new releases and I still get the laughs from that manga even though it's story has shifted so much.

Of course I still had work to mind and other important stuff, but I'd rather talk about leisure.

I already finished Avatar and while waiting for the next One Piece issue, I found my way into other people's blogs. It's a wonder what you could do in your spare time. One blog in particular really got my attention. A rekindled interest on something I had set myself on doing years ago came about when I read the blog. The blog was called the last laugh by a good friend of mine.

I searched my stash for some of those paraphernalias and reading materials that evoked such interest. In an instant, I was back to the world of capes and cowls. The world of the Dark Knight. Yep, Batman. I was a Batman fan long before the first Christian Bale movie. Although I really have no proof for it then, I was always searching on the net and looking out for information on the Caped Crusader and his protege. Sometimes, I was even seen by my friends reading open copies of the graphic novels of the Dark Knight's exploits. What else could I do? I had no money then.

I was able to acquire some of the graphic novels and story arcs of Batman, only to forget about them later on. That blog post sent me digging back into my old files and rekindling the interest I had for Batman.

So now, I started where I left off, the Cataclysm story arc. The arc tells the story of a great earthquake that happened in Gotham. It left the city in literal ruins since the Gotham's buildings with the exception of Wayne Enterprises buildings, were not quake proof. The earthquake was actually the last thing on their minds.

The problem further escalates when the US government withheld aid from the destroyed city turning it into a no man's land. This prompted mobs and gangs to take control of the city including most of Batman's old foes. It's really interesting.


7 comments:

  1. Ah, back to the bat I see. Hahaha. Sometimes we really tend to forget such things. Would you believe me if I said that I only started downloading BL mangas again last night? After not downloading them for 2 months (no matter what you say, 2 months is a long time for me, considering how I go into withdrawals without my yaoi stash). XD

    Although I'd really like to go into rants on how utterly stupid it is that all bad things seems to happen to the heroes' cities, but I actually like batman (and no, it's not because of Christian Bale, no matter how much I like his voice on Howl's Moving Castle). Is this a new story arc, or one of the old ones? Are you referring to the comic books or will there be a movie of this one? I have this feeling that your post somehow got cut short. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not really new. the story ran from 1999-2000. And I am referring to the comic books and I don't think they'd turn it into a movie. It really was cut short, I ran out of ideas and I haven't finished the series. 85 issues yung main No Man's Land Story Arc. Cataclysm is somewhat a prelude for it, so there... ehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Worthy! Ang ganda na ng Onepiece! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Worthy. I look forward to having a copy of the graphic novel you have. Batman's story gets confusing at times, because it branches out to different timelines that its safe to say, there is no real timeline for the Batman. Then again, its nice to piece things together in a continuity as long we are not so critical on the dates and on some events. Example, in the Batman story that we know, Batgirl was shot by the joker and she was paralyzed waist down. She then became the oracle because of that event. In Batman beyond, however, Barbara Gordon never became the oracle as she was an active batgirl even after the joker's death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. It's really confusing when it comes to that. I also heard that the latest Batman storyline, Batman has all three former Robins still alive. Jason Todd somehow got revived and turned villain, Bruce Wayne was seemingly extinguished by Darkseid, Dick Grayson took on the mantle for the meantime, oh, and Damian Wayne, Bruce's son to Thalia al Ghul is the current Robin since Dick didn't think of Tim Drake as a sidekick, but an equal. So in a sense it becomes really confusing.

    ReplyDelete