Mga Pahina

Sunday, August 30, 2009

BUSY DAYS AND BLESSED DAYS

50 people. Just 50.

That was the initial number of deaf attendees from CAP college for the deaf for the coming sabbath as the Deaf Ministry of our church set to make a report in front of the congregation. I was truly surprised when I learned the day before (friday) that they were coming. My thoughts of moving the report to next week burst like bubbles.

Sabbath day became more busy. The moment I stepped foot at the gates of the church, I was immediately hailed by some of our deaconesses. At 8am, there were already at least 10 deaf visitors who were excited to hear the report and observe our church service for the first time.

Apparently, the deaconesses in charge had no idea how to communicate with them. So, both confused parties were stuck at the church front door. The deaf confused at where they would go. The deaconesses confused and at a loss on how to tell them that they already have seats reserved for them. My arrival was somewhat a relief to the deaconesses but more confusion for the deaf with my almost hilarious sign language. To my surprise they were still able to find their reserved seats after I told them to follow the deaconesses.

I was more pressured when they began asking me to interpret for them. However, with my limited sign language, I couldn't do it yet. God took control. Lychel and Cheard came. They were two of the leaders of the deaf ministry. The former the interpreter, the latter her deaf missionary sister. There's only three of us (out of the five) today and handling 50 people isn't a walk in a park what with all the other responsibilities I had to do that day.

I wasn't able to follow their increase in number as they came in twos or threes but later on, I noticed that they have already filled up 6 or 7 pews. Two regular sabbath school classes were obliterated and was replaced by one hulking class. And, to add to my dismay, I was the one who would be handling that class. Luckily I was used to silence during the Sabbath School class. They weren't as responsive as the usual group we had in church. It was obvious that they were still observing the program. Yet God seemed to be leading us. I was actually at a loss on where to put the topic. I was merely throwing questions in the air. By the time I was finished I was somehow blessed by the turn of events. Cheard suddenly took over from Lychel and me and started sharing. She eventually steered the topic to the application of the lesson.

When the report came, it was amazing. Seeing them with their happy expectant faces made me smile myself. Things rolled on with God's grace. The last minute presentation was somehow a success. It was the reason I slept late the night before and I felt elated by the outcome. When the whole group was recognized, I saw them stood up and imagined the scene when one day we have finally established a haven for them. A whole group of deaf and hearing impaired individuals moving and operating their own community.

Later on, the speaker of the day spoke, it was with fervor and energy that the interpreters' hands were also on fire. Their hand movements seemed as dance moves gracefully performing in front of the crowd. It was amazing and it was making me dizzy.

The end of the service did not really mean the end of our problems. We still had a lunch fellowship. Tons of food were served and still with God's blessing. At the end of the fellowship, we were all full to the brim with leftovers to spare. We ended the day for the visitors with a tour around the neighborhood. The other two churches (PCC and MAMC), the hospital and the Union office were the main attractions. I do hope they enjoyed our company.

With the end of the day still several hours away, the hearing members and volunteers of the deaf ministry (including me) were still on the go. There was still a sign language class to attend. At the end of the class, it was information overload. It wasn't a surprise since the ones who taught us today were the teacher and principal of our deaf visitors, the Andrada couple. It was like hearing the masters as they show us their craft.

Even though if it was tiring and confusing, particularly on how to communicate to them, it was a blessed moment. We were all exhausted, battered, weakened and almost zombies by the time the afternoon turned to dusk. Yet looking back at that day, it was overwhelming. God was moving the day with wonders.

I have seen and felt God's mighty hand. Now I am hoping for more. I guess I don't have to wait long. Up next, PAC-YM Youth Day!!! I can't wait!!



2 comments:

  1. sounds great. sorry for not being there but hehe i cant interpret either :) il be beack next week not so sick anymore :) lets see whats God s plan for this ministry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's alright judith, your health comes first. we understand. besides, God was at work there so nothing could go wrong...

    ReplyDelete