Mga Pahina

Monday, August 24, 2009

Howl's Moving Castle

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Books
Genre: Childrens Books
Author:Dianne Wynne Jones
Move over Harry Potter, Howl is here.

This is one great volume packed with magic, mystery and mayhem. The story starts with Sophie Hatter, whose ultimate destiny seemed to be dull and lifeless until she finds herself living in a 90 year old body, thanks or no thanks to the Wicked Witch of the Wastes, the malevolent antagonist. From then on, endless irony followed which would start with who in their right mind would embark on a journey across hills and valleys when you're more than 90 years old? And who would be in their right mind to clean a castle with her bare hands when you're 90ish let alone try to baffle and trick a full-fledged wizard at that?

Ironic, but really hilarious. The meeting of Sophie and Howl and its twist are really page turners. A cat and dog story like no other, Howl's Moving Castle offers a love story with an eccentric twist as well as a mystery that could drive you mad. How could Sophie be freed from her curse and at the same time, free the fire-demon Calcifer? How could Sophie stir up the adamant and cowardly Howl from facing the Wicked Witch? And why would Calcifer obey only Howl and Howl alone until Sophie came? Who is the turnip headed scarecrow? Where is the Prince and the Wizard Jenkins?

As Jones unravels the answers to this questions, it's non stop laughing and surprise. Personally, I really enjoyed the book. It explores love and destiny in an explosive fashion. Cruel love as expressed by Sophie toward Howl as well as Familial love where Sophie's concern for her sisters made her to keep Howl in check.

This book is simply magical. Just read it to get what I mean.

5 comments:

  1. LOL, finally got to review it huh? Though we should probably note that Howl's Moving Castle came into publication years before J.K. Rowling started writing Potter on a tissue paper. XD

    What I like best is Jones' way of telling the story. Like how she showed each character's personality... that is, rather than stating that Sophie is a bully, she shows it through what Worthy so eloquently described as "cruel love" (I LOLd BTW), and showing all of Howl's womanizing ways and his notorious slither-outing. I also liked her take on fairy tales, 'kinda' making a jib at the cliches, like the eldest being a failure and the youngest getting all the good stuffs, how the antagonist was not an old ugly woman but a beautiful, young looking one, the male protagonist not being the goody two shoes and being cowardly to boot. The characters are just so interesting that I really enjoyed all their interactions. =)

    Dude, let me know if you get Castle in the Air. Though I haven't properly read House of Many Ways, I loved seeing Howl as a naughty, lisping, beautiful boy. I want to read more about him. :)

    I tried to start reading the Chronicles of the Chrestomanci, and though I haven't gotten farther than 2 pages, I still think that the concept of the series is really interesting. Now I just need some time away from the internet to be motivated to read a book again. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny but I can't seem to spot Castle in the Air in Powerbooks. I have seen one volume of the Chronicles but that's all. Maybe I just didn't ask around enough. Don't worry, I'll let you know when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Castle in the Air I think it's available for order only in powerbooks. And someone once told me that the Fully Booked store in Fort have that in stock. =x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent read the book yet, but i have the anime. Howl is voiced by The Batman, Christian Bale. If you want a copy, provide me a blank DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I already have one kuya... hehehe... addicted na eh... hahaha... pero ibang iba yung book sa anime... Mas maganda yung development ng characters sa book...

    ReplyDelete