Mga Pahina

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Taking It Further

I found several sheets of paper on the front desk of our clinic last week. On it were the names of all therapists with 3 blanks underneath. On the heading of the first sheet was marked “WISH LIST.” I didn’t know if I should jump for adulation or slump back in worry. Actually the feeling was something I felt whenever I go to buy my own shoes or clothes – clueless.

For a week now, it was a question that really bugged me. What do I really like? What do I wish for? Is world peace an option? How about love?  Or happiness? Or a house and lot and 7 boxing championship belts?

For a limited budget, those things are hard to find. Kidding aside, the more I think about it, the more I’ve realized that a person’s preferences changes over time. Whether it be something abstract as love, friendship or happiness to something more concrete and material as gadgets, cars and houses. Maybe it’s because people tend to get no satisfaction at all. Maybe not. I’m no expert so I can only answer for myself.

So after putting up my wish list for our clinic’s Christmas party, I have decided to take it further and find out what I really wanted. I know it may seem like I’m swinging for the fence, so what if I do? We all get a chance at bat anyway, so just give me my chance to swing for the fence, maybe lady luck would give me a homerun. Here are some of the more tangible items that I wished for in any order:

1.       Book  Collection – I’m starting to build up a collection of books by Robert Fulghum from your friendly neighborhood BOOKSALE. Yet this collection has lots of volumes missing. These don’t cost much, somewhere between 100-500 pesos, if bought from booksale. But that’s not all, I also wanted to build up my own Arnold Arre graphic novel collection priced at around 500 per book, my own CS Lewis Christian volumes collection (500 per book) among others.






2.       Notebook PC– Ok, so I already have a laptop. I even brogged (brag blog? bwahaha) about it last year. But laptops have a short lifespan and with the way I am carrying it, it’s lifetime would most likely be shorter. How did I know? I don’t know but I can feel it. I’m not after the classy notebooks something around PhP 15, 000 is enough for my needs.

3.       Handheld Console – I’m still undecided if it would be a PSP or a NDS. I have tried both and I liked both, but I can’t get both. I like PSP since it’s more cool looking especially the 3D effects. However, it’s bulkier than an NDS. An NDS on the other hand, aside being the only console among the 2 to play Pokemon Diamond, I liked its compact and game boy-like design and the prospect of having dual screens with a touch screen are cool. However, most games look like spawns from cartoons. Both consoles are as much as PhP 10, 000.




4.       Ipod Touch – Maricon, my friend bought one and I found it cool and useful, but her 32GB might be too much for me, 8GB might do the trick. I really have a hard time saving up the 5, 000 to 10, 000 peso Ipod. What really makes me want to get this is it’s wide collection of applications and wifi accessibility which means internet all the time. And from what I heard, it has an application that plays SNES games. woohoo!!





5.       Camera – I used to think that I really didn’t want a DSLR since it’s too bulky or too bothersome for me. Yet after hanging out with the Backlitas (church photogs) I seem to get the photography madness this trio brings to everyone. After some consultation, I found the right tool for me, a canon G10. It’s doesn’t require those expensive lenses but they say it produces great raw shots perfect for a blogger’s use. However, this really means swinging for the fence, it’s price is almost like any SLR at 25, 000 minimum.




6.       House – This is one big dream. And I mean BIG! I have no idea about the location or the prices. I never bothered to look. I just wanted to have one that’s all. It would be cool to own your own house no matter where it is. Personally, I’d still prefer the provincial setting on top of the mountain overlooking the sea. Just a small bungalow would suffice, I guess. If I get to own my house, the next wish will surely follow.




7.       Car – Again another gargantuan dream. Forget about the soaring gas prices, I still think that owning your own vehicle is way too cool. I need something simple and small, something perfect for my needs. I’m not sure what kind though and this is only wishful thinking since I really don’t find it practical. But wait, have I written anything practical on this list so far? I don’t think so.

Boy, this really needs careful planning.But as I said, this is a wish list. Now I could take action and make this a reality or just leave it as a wish. It's all on me. Unless anyone reading this would take pity and give me any one of these.


 

11 comments:

  1. OMG the drama. Just write book titles and be done with it. Hahaha.

    You have to be more specific I guess, like the brand and model of the laptop you're aiming for, same for the camera. And if you're planning to carry the laptop around, buy the small, portable ones. :D There's one NeoEmpriva for around 12k, but I wouldn't really go for Neo now. =x For the PSP I think PSP 2000 (the one that allows downloaded games) is worth around 12k still, while the NDSLite is down to 8500 (as of November) from where I bought mine (Shiro was worth 9000 remember?), but I think Kami was able to buy a brand new (so they say) NDSLite for 7k at most in Robinsons Manila Telecom World. And that was back in April. Imagine the price now. Just make sure that they include the memory card, the edge/r4 card, and free games with the package (and the cover for the game slot). Cause those were the stuffs that were included in my NDSLite. Try canvasing in Greenhills, its bound to be cheaper.

    For the iPod touch, I think it depends on what you're planning to put into it. If you just like to listen to music then 8gb will be enough (I think). But if you want to put videos too then 32gb is actually be lacking. As you know, my iPod classic is 80gb, and I have around 40gb of music and videos now. The rest of the space I use as a flash drive, where I store 7gb of my NDS downloaded games. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised we basically have the same wish list as of now, Kuya Worthy. :D

    I also like to have a smaller laptop (even though I do have a laptop I do not use), console (however, as my younger brother is getting a PSP for Christmas, I'll change my wish to a Nintendo Wii) and a camera (SLR is way too expensive for me. A camera that's worth P10,000 or less is okay). I'd also like to have my own house/lot and car but this is still a decision-making in progress. A few agents, which happened to be my mama's kumares, are convincing me to buy a lot for a good price in a good subdivision. I still can't decide yet- I have to consult my parents re: this. I still can't see myself kasi of parting ways with my family. I mean, I'm still young and would like to enjoy being here in our house. But thinking of the future ahead is a good thing to do. The question is, when will we start thinking about it?

    In line with that, do you consider taking insurance in respected insurance companies worth our resources? A lot has also talked to me about that since last year but until now, I still haven't made a good decision. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ate Michi, how much is Ipod classic now? The last time I canvassed for its price, it was still very much expensive. Though I'd like to go to Greenhills because as you and the other people have said, it's bound to be cheaper there. (",

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really after a smaller more portable ones... Mine is actually a 15" laptop so it's really heavy when moving around. That's why I mentioned that it would be around 15K. As for the camera, I already know what I wanted. I mentioned it already in my post or you were not reading it all. I wanted a Canon G10. it's cooler with less of the bulkiness.

    After much pondering, I think I wanted a PSP since I'm really after the sports games, unless you could convince me otherwise that an NDS has a great array of sports games. I ought to take a look at Greenhills one of these days. With the Ipod touch, I'm eyeing the 8gb since I'm only after the music and the wifi capability. So, are you gonna accompany me to greenhills?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, sorry, I apparently overlooked that one. XD

    Regarding the PSP vs NDS, I think PSP offers more sport games, not that I know for sure. And you can also use it to connect to the net. Medyo complicated (for me) yung net connection ng NDS eh. But I like the guitar hero for the NDS, need to have the accessory to have fun though. But if you really like sports, go for Nintendo Wii! Hahaha.

    Sure, basta libre food hahaha joke. Just text me when. Preferably on a Tuesday or Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't asked lately Karl, and I think yung iPod classic nowadays ay yung 120gb na lang, wala na yung 80/160 gb. I bought mine in Digital Hub in Robinsons Manila back in June 2008, and they were selling it for 10,700 for the 80 gb, and 13,700 for the 160 gb. If I remember correctly, yung 120 gb was worth 12k when they first released it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sure... maybe during the cHristmas break... hahaha... we'll definitely do it on a weekday since maraming work dun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww you know i'll be going to palawan during the christmas break right? if you're not in a hurry let's do in after the christmas break, para di tayo madamay sa xmas rush. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. tama... and most likely, I'll be broke during the chrismas break... haahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you did not have a laptop to begin with, I'd go for the laptop, it does everything... (play GBA/NDS games, music, photoshop, etc.) pair it up with itouch and the camera, and you're good to go. Kumpleto na. =)

    ReplyDelete