Mga Pahina

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Addiction Abyss

The air reeks with the smell of nicotine.

I hated that smell. Better fill the room with the scent of any nose-piercing perfume of my brother than smell the strong odor of nicotine. Better if it were just from one person. But from where I sit, it's clear that it comes from both sides.

What makes the agony more profound is the fact that I am sittin inside a supposedly air conditioned room. A computer rental at that! Yet, some confounded bloke blatantly seemed overjoyed with the scent of nicotine to think that sharing it would be the sanest thing to do. Yeah, I love it! NOT!

But that clearly was not the end of it.

I tried to see who conspired to make this supposedly comfortable computer servicing seem like hell. Lo and behold, children of no more than ten sat beside me. They were the perpetrators?

I tried to look around the rental. The only grown-up is three computer stations away from me. And he's not playing a game. Instead, he's doing some thing on Microsoft Word. It must not be him.

The children were shouting obsceneties and curses at each other. So imagine the scene me in between two mangy children shouting at each other with what seems like a contest on who knows the most curse and obscenity. "PIs" and "G"-words were flying back and forth from the mouths of these kids. If given the chance, I could have bashed their brains out with the computer set I'm renting.

So they must be it.

The shouting even proved it. Their mouths were reeking foul with the nicotine. These kids smoke? Wherever are their parents?

All this time, I thought that I would be better off being a computer addict, filling my mind with countless games. I tried that life. Personally, it would be a good escape from drugs, sex, booze and even smoke. But as I see these kids, the computer shops has become breeding grounds for smoke, gangster lifestyles, obsceneties and such. Should this continue, what would happen to them?

1 comment:

  1. sad noh...children killing themselves without knowing about it...and they just don't kill themselves, nadadamay pa ibang tao. mas mauuna pa nga mamatay yung mga taong nakakaamoy ng second hand smoke nila, kesa sa kanila. i hate smoking too. i just hope more people "smoke responsibly" - if there ever is a term like that. i mean, if you wanna smoke, and all the health warnings and research couldn't dissuade you from it, then be my guest. just don't involve other people, especially me.

    ReplyDelete