Mga Pahina

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Now I Know (An NBI Story)

I took my first step to adulthood today. And just like a child getting ready to sit or walk, I fumbled on my first few steps. I obtained my NBI clearance.

Of course everyone would think that it is not really a step toward adulthood but everyone would definitely agree that it is not also a requirement when you're a high school or college student. 

When I first stepped down the train bound for Carriedo a sudden thrill permeated my heart. At the same time, the feeling you get when you are at a loss also began to creep down my spine.

A friend told me that the only difficulties that I could encounter is finding the building and falling in line. I only agreed with the latter. However, as I entered the threshold of the building, I didn't know what to do. I felt nauseous as all around me were strange faces. Some of them  badgering  other people around while others  looked as clueless as I . 

Eventually, I managed to get a hold of myself and plunge into that sea of people. Not entirely mingling, mind you, but hustling and bustling amidst the "isaw"-like lines toward claiming that piece of paper called an NBI Clearance.

I waited and waited and waited among those lines until my turn came. I paid every fee and ink-smudged all of my fingers with ink. All to get that clearance. I asked every  person worth asking regarding the next step and got grunted answers or the classic pointing snout.

Two hours and a skip at lunch later, I was finally able to obtain that precious piece of paper. But it wasn't a leap in the air. It was with a greasy forehead, a stinking shirt and a weary body that I descended the steps.

I stared at my prize.

I stared really hard.

I noted each detail on that piece of paper.

All I can say is that now I know why everyone looked so haggard in their NBI clearance pictures. =P

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha, buti na lang isa akong pasaway na bata at di ako nagpasa ng NBI clearance nung nag-ayos ako ng passport! well, as if naman hinanap nila, hehe...shhhh, quiet ka lang, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the real world Worthy. :D

    ReplyDelete