Mga Pahina

Thursday, May 14, 2009

3:45 AM: Annoying Teen Parties, Lost Sleep, and Stooping Down

3:45AM. For some who know me well, they would know that it's not hard for me to wake up at this time. Yet any normal person (assuming I'm somewhat normal) would really have a hard time waking up at this time especially if that normal person started sleeping at around 1:00AM. What is more irritating is that if your work wouldn't start until 10AM. You do the math. And you'll get the message.

It was supposed to be a long restful sleep. With the nightly Dusit Thani Hotel escapades with the praise team, it really should be a long sleep. SInce last week, I frequently arrive at home late, thus, sleep late.

Then again, some people forgot what the word respect means. At night, it probably (just probably) means keeping the noise down as some people need to sleep sometimes. You wouldn't really know if the person next door came home late or anything. You probably wouldn't even care, but it's already a known fact that people sleep at night and noise wakes you up. So if you are a nocturnal person, you should be really be wary of making any noise.

It just so happens that some people forgot that.

3:45AM, Tonight (May 15, 2009). I was disturbed by loud music and high frequency chatting voices from the other house. They were created by highschool drop outs and angsty teenagers while having their nightly worthless party. It was the nth time in a row. I didn't mind the voices, but the loud music was already too much. I wouldn't actually mind if they did it occasionally, but the fact was they have been doing it for quite sometime now. I wasn't the only one disturbed by the way.  My 81 year old grandfather whom I share the room with, was already up. Judging from the way he sat down, his sleep was disturbed, as well. Take note that I lost sleep after that.

At first impulse, I wanted to hit the window with the monoblock chair beside my bed. It also crossed my mind to use instead one of those industrial-sized wrench (the giant type used for industrial water pumps) my father kept under my bed (yes, he kept all 4 of them under my bed). I also thought of throwing smoke bombs, tear gas, pepper spray, hammers, saws, and all sorts of things.

I thought otherwise. I wouldn't go so low as make such a ruckus. They were already good for nothing excuses for high school drop outs so why bother joining in their fray? (Note: I am not angry, see choice of words for proof )

So instead of even barking with an angry voice, I yelled with an almost pleading voice to keep it down. I didn't yell curses (even though I was itching to do it). I didn't throw anything (even though I really would like to give it a try!!  ) And seriously speaking, it's not even an angry voice. It was more of a request using a loud voice. I said, "Pakihinaan naman po yung tugtog. May trabaho pa po yung iba sa atin dito!" (No stir! That's what I said!)

My point was that maybe some of them might be too immune to shouts and bouts of cursing. After all, it was their way of life. Cursing, shouting, and picking fights seemed all so natural to them, that doing those very same things to them won't affect them at all. In fact, when I yelled my request, I swear I could hear them mumbling and grumbling like they used to whenever we scold them not to flirt on the roof of our vehicle (Those people were teenagers by the way!). So a show of force would only turn into a tug of war.

Moreover, I remembered what my teacher said back then: "Never stoop down to their level!" Cursing, and throwing things at them may be the best of times for me. But that would also mean losing. They lost their respect for other people, how much better am I if I lost mine to them by shouting and nagging? And would I still stand straight and still profess to be a respectable Christian after doing what impulse tells me to do? I don't think so. I guess sometimes, you have to show how much respect you deserve by treating them the same amount respect. If you wanted to be treated like a real Christian (In medieval times, that would be a very different concept) or even just a real human (even if you're not), show them how to do it by doing it to them. How high you are isn't determined by how high they look at you but by how high you look at them.

Whoa! What am I doing? My rant just turned into an introspection!

Post Script: I still wonder what it would be like if I threw down those things I mentioned a while ago. Hmmm... They say in baseball that after strike three, you're out! Go figure.
 




15 comments:

  1. oh men... I know I cranky it feels in the morning when sleep tries to seep in, and yet, you can't sleep anymore. Di bale worths power NAP ka nalang sa lunch break.hehe

    I suddenly remembered, hindi ba sa classes natin dati ikaw yung may BAD sleeping habits inside the classroom...hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha....dati? hanggang ngayon kaya...
    hahahaha... I come to the clinic one hour early para matulog... hahahaha... hindi ko lang ginagawa yun kapag patient care... hahaha... pero I come home late kasi for 2 weeks, so talagang gusto ko matulog... nakakainis lang kasi mahirap makatulog after a burst of irritation... buti nalang talaga isang make up lang yung meron ako mamaya, I can sleep the rest of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's good to hear. :)

    Ang pagtulog ay energy. More energy mas happy. :)

    haha... totoo yun. Otherwise, madali kang mapagod sa lahat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hm.. doesn't saying or even thinking not to "stoop down to their level" mean that you we're already looking down on them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have encountered this situation a lot of times when my neighbors are having videoke (take note, the one with unusual high pitch and slurry wordings).
    Maybe next time, I'd go with PVC pipes or tear gas, or something more explosive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so tumahimik naman? kung ako siguro yan nireport ko na lang sila sa baranggay para di ako yung magsasabi sa kanila :P hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa! hahaha... I get your point. But that doesn't mean you should face them at their level (e.g curse them, throw something at them), my point is to show them how to get up to the respect that you deserve by talking to them the way you wanted to be talked to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so far tumahimik naman... At hindi na ulit gumawa ng ingay a few days later...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha... yeah... that's cool!! hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ... and we call ourselves, "Annoyed @ Noise Pollution Blockbusters"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. uhm... I think that's taking it too far... hehehehe... kasi I'd rather have people make noise in the morning (gawain ko) than in the evening... so there...

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol hey want to visit me next time ? its silent in our house ... till saturday night ... saturday and sunday karaoke never stops ... but at least its weekend ... but even tough i have the same feeling ... being in dusit every night took a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah.. guess I could do that sometime... ahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete