Mga Pahina

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Up there and beyond

This post is way over due. This was written a month before on my notebook. I recently had the chance to post this.

Sweat dribbled down my cheek. My heart thumped hard as if a herd of elephants were stampeding inside. My legs shook and trembled in exhaustion. I was on the verge of whiting out. Yet, it was my best Sabbath ever.

We tried to climb Mt. Pico de Loro, one of the mountains that border the countryside of Cavite and Batangas. Recently, I learned that it is the highest peak in Cavite.

"It is bounded by the island of Corregidor and the Caraballo Mountains in the north, Nasugbu, Batangas in the south, Maragondon on the east and the South China Sea on the west. With the height of 664 meters above sea level, it is considered the highest mountain in the generally flat Cavite province." - http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/3712/gpicodeloro.html

We started our trip with a night trek on a Friday night to the first base camp where we were going to spend the night. The trip to the first base camp took almost two hours. At the starting point, I was already giddy with excitement. It was as if I never came from work the day before. Although, I actually wondered how and when we'd get to the base camp, it was sort of a wake up call for my legs that more efforts like this one was required tomorrow. It was exhausting to climb blindly with only your head lamp to guide you, but it was actually a bonus since you won't feel the pressure of reaching any point. At times, we had to test our balance with the slippery rock ledges and crevices. I was actually in high spirits. After two years, I was back to conquer another mountain.

We reached the base camp at around 1AM. We immediately set up camp. This was another first since the last time I went up a mountain, I didn't have my own tent, but this time, my brother and I called the shots. We had our own tent and sleeping bags. My body was sore, but I still found the time to write and eat with Kuya Jez and Kuya Zyrus. I savored my first cook out in the mountains. It was amazing to see that small burner so much wonders.

The food lasted for so long and as I tried to hit the sleeping bags, I listened to this new sound in the air. The sound of silence was new to me. It was alien to the city of shouting neighbors and honking vehicles. I indulged in the silence. It was a sensory diet I was more than willing to partake. Later on, I heard the sounds of the forest night. Those insects that wouldn't stop chirrupping and the norcturnal birds that flapped their wings were the new music to my ears. All these, I probably heard from a mile away. In these kinds of conditions, the silence made my hearing, though moderately impaired, at its sharpest.

We greeted the Sabbath morning with jubilaton. At least I did. I don't know about the others, but I was crazily dashing to and fro the camp. I left the chores of breakfast to my groupmates. They were, after all, the experts in these kinds of trip. I was like a toddler full of energy running around the camp, inspecting each group as they prepared their breakfasts and tasting their curious concoctions. I was elated when our breakfast was served. It was Kung-Pao Jungle Jezreel Edition. Who would have thought that you could mix up such a meal in the heard of the jungle?

We broke camp immediately after breakfast. The initial plan was to leave after lunch and head to the falls, but as morning came, we saw other groups heading towards the falls. Our guides predicted that if we stick to our plans, we'd have no space to set up camp at the summit that evening. So our guides decided to head straight to the summit camp and decide to go to the falls tomorrow morning. Although somewhat disappointed, this proved to be a very wise move later on.

The road was long and winding. The trail was as clear as day. It was as dry and rocky. Trudging through that trail proved to be easy but tiring. We reached a small clearing with a sign that says Alibangbang Park. We rested a while. I thought we were near, but to my surprise, the guides told us that the climb was just beginning and here I was already sweating like a pig.

10 meters of great walking later, we were led towards an upward trail. This one proved to be harder than the previous trails but the most interesting so far. The vegetation was filled with lush trees and ferns. It was damp all around and getting some sticky goo into your hands seemed likely. Various fungi and lichens were abundant. Rocks jutted like crazy all the way to the top. Once or twice we had to step higher than usual. What comforted me was that there were no 90 degree climbs.

So there I was full of sweat and on the brink of exhaustion. My clothes, including my vest, could have filled a bucket of sweat. My legs were shaking and refusing to move anymore. My knees protested the most. It simply wouldn't budge anymore. It seemed to ignore any commands from my brain. It was as if cemented and weighed down by tons of steel chains. Stars were almost the only thing I could see.

Eventually, I had to remove my shirt and my vest so as to climb lighter and breathe easier. I may be lighter then, but it still seemed less easier. I was still struggling. I thought of the countless hours I should have given to prepare for this hike but it was all useless. So I just shrugged off all the should haves and what ifs and trudged on, stopping occasionally to rest my trembling legs.

Fortunately, I was nowhere near fainting. I was just tired. I tried to walk on my own pace together with others from our pack. The energized ones were already further up. Our sweepers were far behind us so there was no worries of getting lost or getting left behind. At a junction near the top, we eventually caught up with the others. Apparently, they too were exhausted. They took the wrong turn and tried to climb a steeper trail but failed. They waited for the sweepers for directions so we were able to catch up to them.

I actually thought this was the end of the hike. The vegetation has changed from the damp ferns and fungi to large trees and bamboos. The moss and the fungi were still there but it was obviously a different variety. There were fallen trees everywhere, most of which were extremely slippery. Trails leading down were covered with leaves making it a dangerous mud and moss slide. When the guides reached us, they were able to point the right way. We had to go somewhat downward and around to get to the camp.

At that point I thought I was done for. I was so bemused with thinking that I might have gone past my limit when I realized that I was all alone. Panic suddenly charged me up to move faster. I tried to jump over the slippery trees and purposely slide down the leaf infested slopes. I finally made it at the rear of our pack. I was a few paces from them at least. I noticed that the trees were gone and we were walking through a bamboo forest. The path this time became easier. It still lead upward but it was less rocky and less slippery. Never the less I was still on the verge of collapse.

Just when I was about to put down my bag to rest, I noticed that the trail lead to a bright clearing. I braced my self for a final lunge. There I noticed the bright blue sky. Yes, the clear blue sky and something else: Mount Pico De Loro Summit.
We reached it at around 2:45 in the afternoon. The camp site was clear of people. We were the first ones there. It was cloudy and fair. I shouted and wailed my heart out. I was happy to reach the top. I actually felt that I was on top of the world. We set up camp and had a short sundown worship afterward. This was the best sabbath ever! 
Right now, I'm waiting for the next hike. I hope I'd get my self ready by then.

4 comments:

  1. "....All these, I probably heard from a mile away. In these kinds of conditions, the silence made my hearing, though moderately impaired, at its sharpest."

    --> Best Part!!! Great post tol, tinapos ko.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gusto ko yung mga ganito eh, picture blog w/ narration ng adventure/trip... hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talaga? ako rin eh... ehehehehe... kaso yung ibang blog posts walang picture at wala akong picture na makuha...

    ReplyDelete