Mga Pahina

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pilgrimage, anyone?

Why do people embark on pilgrimages to supposedly sacred sites during these season? I keep on wondering about this every Lenten season. My wonder increased when I saw the people outside today.

I have to make it clear that I have nothing against pilgrimages. After all, aren't we in one? Aren't we in a spiritual pilgrimage towards perfection through Christ? I may not walk the long trek up a mountain to meditate or anything, but life in itself proves a steeper mountain to climb. I am even amazed at how some of our Islam brethren would do everything to get to Mecca just to worship. The whole process including the preparations in itself is a wonder. When I learned more about Islam and other world religions, I got a deeper sense of appreciation for these people. In just the same manner, some of us Christians do retreats and the like to think and increase our knowledge of God. There's really no difference.

Perhaps this is also the reason why some of our Catholic brethren go up to Antipolo every Holy Week.

A pilgrimage to Mecca to a Muslim might require a rigorous preparation. I am not a Muslim so I am not someone who have a say in the matter. Christians are no exceptions. We need to prepare ourselves physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually before we embark on such pilgrimages. Preparations are really necessary. It's a great exercise of faith and a part of the pilgrimage in itself, but what I saw just today made me wonder.

The buzz of going up on a pilgrimage to Antipolo was in the air today as a group of teenagers were preparing for their trip. It's really a great show of courage on their part to go there. They have everything ready including their make up.

Yes, most of them wore their make up. I really thought they were kidding with their outfits. They wore clothes that looked like they were going to a party or something. Frankly, it was as though they were going to perform in a street dance competition than a pilgrimage to a sacred area.

Anyone could argue that in God's sight, the clothes you wear don't mean anything. I agree. I would even support it, but to go on a pilgrimage, what you wear really matters. It's not just a practicality issue wherein the clothes you wear need to fit the place you're going. The motive in going on a pilgrimage is also in question. Why would you wear that if you want to meditate or commemorate Christ's death and sacrifice? Why would you go there if you're going to flaunt your most stylish apparel? Wouldn't it be better to go there with only your barest necessities and look at God at your simplest? Or were you planning on reaching that site with friends just to have fun? And wouldn't it be better to go there on your own initiative?

I haven't been to any pilgrimages, but I guess you have to prepare your heart for it. I guess, I'm not someone who's qualified to say anything. Maybe, just maybe, your heart should be at the right place before you go on any pilgrimages. Maybe your eyes should be set upon that Man who died on the cross and not to your friends or your boyfriend who went with you. Maybe, you should think about the real reason why you're going there? Is it because it's what religion tells you? Is it because it's what your friends tell you? Or is it because it's what your heart tells you to do? What do you think?

I'm not really sure.

Maybe I'm just ignorant about it.

5 comments:

  1. Me too. Yup, I agree to the abovementioned statements. For me, personally, sometimes you just go with the flow because you have some hidden ulterior motives. But I do respect as well the tradition and the activities being set by the religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. respect it. but that's not what I really wanted to say. I was trying to say is why do you really have to do it? I mean, when you wanted to go somewhere and talk to God, would you bring a cellphone, a computer, or would you wear party clothes? No. You come as you are. You prepare yourself to talk to him. It's not because it's required by any religion or because your friends are going along. Right? My point is what SHOULD be your ulterior motive to go on a pilgrimage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. pardon, i thought my comment was complete na (accidentally clicked the Submit button). yun na sana yung sasabihin ko. mas kuntento na ako to reflect on my own than to go to other places na feeling ko 'di naman completely magkakaroon ng fulfillment when you talk to Him. i am not really into this talaga. actually contented na ako to utter/ whisper words of gratitude or have a small prayer/talk with the supreme being. no more no less.

    ewan ko, medyo nabababawan na ako sa mga ganitong senaryo (kasama na riyan ang nabanggit mo)
    nawawala ang essence of true faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. that's one of the dangers of tradition. People misunderstand the real focus of the celebration, most especially if it has been practiced for a long time. Actually, after this holy week, the big questions is how long would the people live what they have learned, if any, during their holy week celebration?

    ReplyDelete
  5. and considering the fact that this 'tradition' becomes a vicious cycle...

    ReplyDelete