Mga Pahina

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Daddy's 81st

81. It's not really a high number, but when counting a person's age, you might be thinking about a hospital bed or a likely life on crutches.

Who could have thought they could live this long and still manage to stay as happy and fun loving? I mean, back when I was an intern, most old folks I met at my rotation were all grumpy, miserable and suffering.

But not this guy.


He could smile like there was nothing to worry about. His health problem so far has been his aching leg which he got broken when he was 78 by climbing up a pole. Really jaw dropping.

So even though we've stopped having birthday parties at home, we couldn't let his birthday pass. Really, who would? You don't get the chance to be 81 everyday, right? So last night was one big feast, just some family members and a few of my parent's friends from church. My grandfather was grinning to the ear.

A doctor once told me when I accompanied my grandfather to the doctor that I would have a slim chance to reach his age.

Maybe he's right, maybe not.

But one thing's for certain, my grandfather would still get to live longer than 81 at the rate he is smiling and enjoying life. And I hope I'm right.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Your Lolo is strong pa diba? And you're right, he's very kind. :) Wow, nice. May he have more birthdays to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You don't get the chance to be 81 everyday, right?..."

    right, only for a year... =) belated happy birthday to your lolo,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha... a little too late... hahaha... joke...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got the chance to seat beside your grandfather once and i admired his consistency in worship. seeing him inside the church is truly an inspiration to all of us... i wish him all the best of his years ahead! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ate j... Yeah, he's really consistent rain or shine...

    ReplyDelete