Mga Pahina

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Howl's In Two Days

I borrowed Michi's Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones last thursday. Well, actually she lent it to me while waiting for our friends when we went out on my birthday. That was last week.

For those who seem to have heard the title before, it is where the multi-awarded animated film by Hayao Miyazaki of the same title was based. The one that was nominated in the Academy Awards and won several others in Europe and America. It was that famous.

I managed to get hold of the book after aiding Michi to find the it. It took months but I didn't mind at all. I have a long reading list anyway.

I was excited to read about it. I even planned to read it the next day when I called in sick from work. Apparently, I didn't read it for almost a week. I even brought it to work thinking that maybe I would find time when one of my kids couldn't come in. It turned out that some kids didn't come in, but I completely forgot about the book. I even forgot that I brought it until I came home.

Yesterday, I was too lazy to stand up and manipulate anything digital before going to work. I was up early and didn't want to fall asleep again. I grabbed anything that I thought I could do and that was when I came upon the book again. Why not? I thought to myself. I still have five hours till work.

I read the first few pages only to find out that I made it to the middle of the book and that there was still time. When it was time to go to work, I immediately packed it with me. I had the break that I needed and for two hours I was adrift with Howl and Sophie.

After work, I was not looking forward to the mall and instead went straight home. Although it took quite some time because of the torrential rain, I managed to get home earlier than usual where I resumed reading the book.

Funny but the pages seemed to thin out evey minute or so and the adventure seemed to be more exciting. I only realized that I was through with the book this morning when I got the chance to continue reading it till the end. It was fun till it lasted.

Review of the book will be posted sometime.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this book seems like a very good read. What is it about, Kuya Worthy? (",

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha di ba it's very different from the movie, and dare i say, even better? I especially love Howl's and Sophie's interaction. You can actually see their love story grow. Hehehe

    Karl, it's about Sophie, a hat-maker, who lives in the magical world of Ingary, where fairytales come true. An unfortunate meeting with the Witch of the Waste left her cursed to look like a 90 year old lady. She went out of her small town to look for a way to break her curse, and stumbled upon the doorway of Howl's moving castle, where her adventures starts. :)

    Months from when I first told you. But I've been looking for it for, like, a year or so. hahah. Well worth the wait right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep... I was only able to watch the first 10 minutes of the movie prior to reading the book. It was really different from what was depicted in the book. The movie seemed to have been updated a little but the book is really better. Let's read Castle in the Air or House of Many Ways next... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, I did mention to wait for the review right? wahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's not a review, it's a sort of summary.

    hahaha you do remember that I have house of many ways right? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I actually forgot. But I won't be borrowing from you. I also have my own. Just bought it the other day. wahahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  7. and it's all your fault!!! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete