Mga Pahina

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Old School

I bought an MP4 player last month. It was one of those impulsive buying that racks me up sometimes. But the deed was done, there was no turning back.

Apparently, I did not regret buying it. It saved me from boring-patient-less days or during long trips or during the many occasions I wanted to shut my self from the world. It really replaced my Motorola phone, which was stolen the month before I bought it. It was that incident that triggered the need for an MP4 player.

The player's features were simple. Of course, it can play music and some videos (actually, I was able to load 5 movies in it, hahaha). It also has a camera. It's not really a decent camera, but it can take pictures and record videos, so I'll just leave it at that. It also has an FM radio that I really don't care about. I was never a radio fan. It also has a voice record function that could really be handy if you're an SP. You don't need to take down notes when taking articulation or language samples.

Another feature that really caught me breathless was a working e-book reader. Now, I have an super extra overly extended reading list (notice the superlatives)!! The last few players I got my hands into can't even process e-books. So I was able to load those Maurice LeBlanc novels, ancient legends and tales I downloaded years ago but could not read since my eyes get computer sore with novels. I feel like partying!!

But the really awesome stuff didn't end there. I learned that I could load NES games on the player. Now that's a bargain I wouldn't dare miss.

I remembered when I would only look at a NES and watch other kids play and when I got my first family computer (didn't buy it long story), it was the advent of the gameboy, so I got outdated games.

A month after buying the MP4 player, things seemed to enter a rennaissance era. I rediscoverd Punch Out, Hoops, Super Contra, Final Fantasy (the first one), Megaman (part 1 to 6) and the classic Mario Brothers. My ROM and game finding skills since Pokemon in HS were updated and put into use when I was able to find all those old school games I have never played or heard off. Some seem vaguely familiar. Others were simply original versions of the current games found in your Wii or PSP.

Looking back at those old games, I found myself looking at an era where fun is at its simplest. You don't have to bother with stylish graphics or amazing gameplay, its just shoot and beat em no brainers that really brings the fun out of gaming.


6 comments:

  1. i luv old school too. i have finished megaman 2 on an an emulator on the PSP for like 5 times this week already and it's just tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...i wasnt able to even hold one of those game consoles...i really played old school..clay, rubber bands and paper and regular household items...tsk2

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too. Actually, I was playing old school console games as a tester in my dad's shop way back. It would last for only a minute, then it was "say good bye to the game" time. But I was aware of those games. Don't worry, you can make up for lost time. There's a lot of those old school games that you can load on your PC via an emulator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mark
    rubber bands? chinese garter???

    ReplyDelete
  5. kuya vinz: ndi po..hahah..diba may mga mechanism nun na pag may pnindot ka talsik ung rubber band?

    ReplyDelete
  6. kunwari ka pa... umamin ka na... you were a player of chinese garter hahaha...

    ReplyDelete